Letting Go of Self

[First, I wanted to mention this little tidbit! This is my 100th post! Yay! I don't have a big special planned like on the Ellen Show, but I think it's a pretty important milestone since there were many times I considered calling it quits. But in the last month, my traffic has increased on average almost 400-percent! Thanks for sticking with me!]

James 3:13-18 NKJV

And now for the reality check...

One of the things that has become apparent to me is my need to be realistic about my value, not just in a self-worth or self-esteem kind of way, but also in relation to the value of others. It's easy to have something fantastic happen to you and forget that while you are being blessed, others are still broken and hurting.

But our current state has nothing to do with our true value.

"For you are bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." -I Corinthians 6:20

I was bought with a price while I was still broken, messed up, and hurting others all the time. And my value is no higher now than it was then; I simply am armed with better corrective lenses to see my value clearly.

In James 3, wisdom is discussed--earthly versus wisdom from Heaven. But as I read this passage tonight, what really spoke to me was from verses 17 and 18.

In verse 17, seven things are attributed to wisdom from Heaven, seven traits:
1.purity
2.gentle
3.easy to be entreated
4.full of mercy
5.good fruits
6.without partiality
7.without hypocrisy.


All of these traits are in reference to relationships with other people. As I go out into the world to speak, to share, to encourage, what am I taking with me? Am I letting go of my selfishness in my desire to do what is right and noble? Am I gentle in spirit and words? Am I harsh in regards to others' faults while easily overlooking my own? Do I have compassion and feel the miseries of others in similar roles? Do I bear good fruit? Do I act for myself or for the good of mankind as a whole? Do I have two faces, one I share and one I hide?

No matter what I am called to do, I know that I must seek God and His wisdom before I do anything. And I'm grateful to know that He has given me a checklist to test what I think I behold. It's tough to be real with others, and even tougher to be real with myself, but I know the blessing comes from blessing others and anything less than the real me, filled with the love, peace, and grace of Jesus Christ is just wasting time.

Father, as you open doors to allow me to spread awareness, let me always be reminded that I am sent for your glory and to help others. When I struggle with this, remind me brutally of the truth. This is not my cause; it is yours. I am a servant, not the master. Let my blessing come in the form of humility as I work to bless others in your name. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My birthday...but a wish for you

Hoarding--it's not about the STUFF

Admitting the Truth, Uncovering the Lie