Taking back what is mine...

On Sunday, my pastor (and BIL) spoke in his sermon about taking back what is already ours. His message was based on the following scripture:

"David and all Israel marched to Jerusalem, that is Jebus, where the Jebusites were, the inhabitants of Jebus said to David, 'You will not come in here.' Nevertheless David took the stronghold of Zion, now the city of David. David had said, 'Whoever attacks the Jebusites first shall be chief and commander.' And Joab son of Zeruiah went up first, so he became chief. David resided in the stronghold; therefore it was called the city of David. He built the city all around, from the Millo in complete circuit; and Joab repaired the rest of the city. And David became greater and greater, for the Lord of hosts was with him." --I Chronicles 11:4-9

A little background is important here...Jebus is in the midst of the land given by God to Abraham and his descendants, the promised people. That was long before David went in to take the city. But he did so with confidence because he knew that it was promised to them. It was theirs; God had promised it to them.

The city of Jebus is like our life. In it are bad things, hurtful people, and many unknowns. But also within it is a promise! We are promised that whenever we face a temptation, we will be given a way out. We are promised that when we face a trial, angels will battle with us. Yes, bad things have taken over our lives, especially if we haven't been vigilant with guarding who and what we allow into our lives, into our hearts, into our minds, and to shine across our vision! But, like David, we can be secure in the promise that God has given us an out, and then take back our lives and be victorious!

I think it's interesting that the writer of the Scriptures goes further than to just say, "David took the city from the Jebusites and it became Jerusalem." Instead, he elaborates and says that David resided in the stronghold--such an interesting choice of words! When we speak of strongholds, we are generally speaking of things that put us in bondage. But here, I believe, the reference is to more than just the city property. I believe that we are to understand that David's ability to stay and live in the city was more than just conquering the enemy, but also taking refuge in the Lord! And this place where he stayed became known as the city of David. It was known by his residence and ownership.

I believe that this is true about our lives. When we let other things take over our lives and we're just going along for the ride, it's as though our identity has been stripped from us. For the last 33 years, I've been known as Ceci but I wonder if, when I take back my life from all the negative things that have happened, that I have ALLOWED to happen, if I won't suddenly be known as Cecilia, the name I was given at birth! When I inhabit the promise of my life, it will be known by my name--for years to come, people will see me and what I am doing in the Lord!

But the scripture doesn't end there...the writer goes on to describe how the city was built, in a circuit outside of the Millo. There was strength by having the main section of the city surrounded all around. And isn't that true in our own lives? We find strength when we are surrounded by God, by friends and family that are supportive and encouraging. We can't just stay in the city once we've taken it back without being surrounded and supported. We can't go it alone, or we'll lose what we've done. But we have another promise at the end of the scripture, "David became greater and greater, for the Lord of hosts was with him!"

That's awesome news! As I work to put the past into the past, after having really felt and acknowledging that all those bad things really happened, they hurt badly, they were horrible things and unfair, I can rest assured that God has promised me life with Him. I can take back the life I want and become greater and greater. But I have to keep myself surrounded by people that will support and encourage me.

I'm taking back what is mine, what has been promised to me. It is mine!

Comments

Unknown said…
I couldn't agree more, Cecilia! I love you :0)

Popular posts from this blog

My birthday...but a wish for you

Hoarding--it's not about the STUFF

The FREE PWH Workbook